Birth Trauma Injuries in Nevada
Having a baby is a very special time couples cherish. But complications during labor and delivery also make it a very stressful time. During labor and delivery, babies can incur severe injuries or trauma that can leave them with lifelong disabilities.
While this is a painful, costly reality, most birth injuries do not result from medical malpractice. However, medical mistakes do happen. When they do, these Reno personal injury cases are also known as medical malpractice. Among the medical errors that could lead to medical malpractice lawsuits are the following:
- Failing to anticipate birth or maternal health complications
- Failing to respond appropriately to bleeding
- Failing to respond to umbilical cord entrapment
- Failing to respond to fetal distress
- Failing to order a cesarean section or C-section when medically necessary
To prove malpractice, you must have expert medical testimony that no reasonable healthcare provider would handle the situation the way yours did and that negligence was the cause of injury or death.
Why it may be necessary to file a Reno personal injury lawsuit
Some birth injuries or conditions clear up shortly after birth such as the following:
- Fractures and bruising
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage that causes red bands around the iris of the eyes
- Caput Succedaneum, a severe swelling of the infant scalp due to vacuum extraction
But some injuries require costly surgeries or lifelong medical care including the following:
- Skull fractures due to improper use of forceps
- Facial paralysis due to nerve damage
- Brachial Palsy, including Erb's Palsy and Klumpke's Palsy, which occur when the brachial plexus, or group of nerves controlling hand and arm movement, are injured
- Cerebral palsy or other brain damage due to oxygen deprivation because of blood loss or the twisting or compression of the umbilical cord
At the Nevada personal injury law firm of Bradley, Drendel & Jeanney, we have over 50 years experience defending the rights of medical malpractice victims and winning substantial jury awards and personal injury settlements for our clients. Our Reno attorneys aggressively pursue those at fault and push for a fair, equitable personal injury settlement that can cover financial losses such as medical expenses.
Contact us today for a free initial consultation
As with other types of personal injury cases, there is a statute of limitations for filing medical malpractice claims and lawsuits. Once this deadline lapses, you may no longer take legal action to recover your losses. So you need to act quickly and enlist our help so we can build a strong case on your behalf.
Please contact the law firm of Bradley, Drendel & Jeanney to address your serious personal injury needs.